Friday, August 17, 2012

I Wish You Good Health

Over and over again I hear people talking about how they can't afford this or that. Especially when it comes to their health. I hear "No I haven't been to the doctor in ten years" or "I haven't been to the dentist in five years and I know if I go, it's going to cost me way too much. And I don't have the money for it."

That is so crazy. I know because I have been there myself. I waited way too long at one time to see the dentist and if I went earlier, I may have saved myself from getting those not so fun root canals and crowns.

Did you know that a dentist can detect other problems you may be having from just an oral exam. Plus any dental problems you may be experiencing will not heal itself, it only gets worse. 

Why is it that people think having good health, takes to much effort. Eating right, brushing, flossing and seeing the dentist twice a year is the key to good health. So what is so hard about that?

Then it comes to people who need prescriptions. I hear that they can't always afford to get them. I know someone who needs med's for a bipolar problem and this person cannot function properly without. So there have been times when money is tight and those prescriptions cannot be filled. You can imagine how this person is functioning. I know, I've seen it and it's not a person you want to be around.

So what is the answer? 

There have been times I've talked to people who feel it's hard just making just enough money for food on the table and a roof over their head. Even the kids suffer. That is so not right. Why should kids suffer, only to find them in an emergency room at the last minute. 

Once a friend of mine, who didn't have any type of coverage, ended up in a hospital after a heart attack. This person wasn't even near 40 yrs. of age. A heart attack out of the blue and in the hospital without any coverage. Friends were having fundraisers just to pay some of the bills. That was just crazy. Just a year earlier I mentioned a program that was affordable. If this person had gotten the program, that hospital bill would have been in a totally different situation. No major fundraisers would have been necessary.

It just drives me a bit crazy, when I hear things like this. So how do you change peoples minds? How do you show people there is a solution to a problem? It's not always easy. I even have family members who don't always listen to me. 

Unfortunately, it's sometimes way too late to solve a problem. But you hope to prevent any other problems from coming up. So maybe you know someone who can use some information and these words will make them think differently. Then pass this along. 

I would like to hear your comments. I'm not a doctor or a dentist, but I may be able to help out with the way you can afford to see a doctor and a dentist.

I wish you good health,

Bonnie Sprung

 












No comments: